There Are Numerous Reasons To Establish Paternity

According to the laws in Massachusetts, a husband may be presumed to be the father of a child born to his wife during their marriage. If a husband believes he is not the father of his wife's child, or if the biological father wishes to assume paternity, confirmation of the status may require formal proceedings.

In order to contest paternity of a child born in wedlock or to establish paternity of a child born out of wedlock, it may be necessary to undergo a genetic marker test, also known as a DNA paternity test. Our attorneys are committed to protecting fathers' rights and can advise you on your legal rights and responsibilities related to family issues before, during and after your legal proceedings. Call our firm at 617-380-7643 to meet with us in Charlestown or Middlesex County if you have questions about how to proceed.

Same-Sex Paternity

In Massachusetts, the status of non-biological parents in same-sex relationships requires special considerations. It is important to establish a legal relationship between parent and child as soon as possible. Your rights and responsibilities may differ depending upon how your child becomes a part of your family, the status of your relationship with your partner, and whether or not these issues were addressed in an agreement made before the marriage.

We encourage couples to contact our office during the early stages of their relationship when considering expanding their families. Our Charlestown paternity lawyers can advise couples even if they have not yet made firm plans to have children. Without establishing a legal relationship with your child, you could run the risk of being a legal stranger.

Make It Official

Although there is room within Massachusetts law to recognize de facto parents despite the fact that they may not be legally related to a child through adoption, biology or marriage, it is possible to avoid these legal quandaries by establishing custodial rights as soon as you take on the responsibilities of parenthood.

Protect your rights by contacting an attorney who can help you formalize your parental relationship. Our office has helped clients from Lexington, Newton and around the Greater Charlestown area to settle their paternity disputes.

We are always committed to providing the most comprehensive services possible to our clients. No case is too small for our attention, and you can be sure that the attorneys at our firm will give your paternity case direct and personal attention while being mindful of the costs. Contact our firm to schedule a free consultation about your parental rights and responsibilities. We can meet you either in our Charlestown office or in Middlesex County near where you live or work.